Wishful thinking

Mr. Monkey and I are currently living on the second and third floors of a 103 year old house. The house is pretty and the rent is good but lately I find myself day dreaming about moving. I hate moving and moving out of this house, whenever that happens ,will be a total pain in the ass (living on the second and third floor means EVERYTHING has to go up or down stairs and living in a 103 year old house means narrow doorways and tight corners) but I find myself jogging past other houses in the neighborhood and wondering what might come up for rent when our lease is up in the spring.

As of this moment, I’d really like these things in a house:

– 4 bedrooms so Mr.Monkey and I can each have our own offices. We are good at sharing but in a perfect world we’d each have our own space. Mr. Monkey also has a metric crap ton of books so he needs all the office space he can get

– more than one toilet. I don’t care if it is another full bath or a half or what but I want more than one.

– A kitchen with more than two feet of counter space (no joke, that is how much counter space we currently have)

– A house in the exact same neighborhood we live in now or very very very close to it. We love our neighborhood

– Rent less than $1200 a month

– A landlord that isn’t weird

This isn’t too much to ask for, right? At this point Mr.Monkey and I will be renting for the foreseeable future and it would be nice to find a place we’d like to stay in for a good chunk of time. I’d also like to hire someone else to do all the moving, because moving sucks, but I doubt that will happen.

7 thoughts on “Wishful thinking

1. AndreAnna (The Primal Matriarch) says:

Ideally I’s love to rent a house but I feel like we lucked out in this apartment complex. Three beds (would love 4), 2 full baths, 2 walk-in closets, 1300 sq ft. And GAH the thought of moving again makes me all twitchy and shit. But I do miss the privacy of a house.

I figure we’ll stick it out here for a few years and hopefully by then be able to decide what/where/when we want to move

2. Tracy says:

We have a house that is all on 1 floor but I dream of moving ALL the time. We have 1000 square feet which sounds good except that it is 2 bedrooms, 1 bath and a small kitchen on 1 wall. I dream of 4 bedrooms, a large kitchen with an island and a double oven, 2 full baths (I want my own please!), a fenced yard, a 2 car garage that we can acutally park in and enough storage that we CAN park in our garage…all for 150 grand or less. Gotta love the dream 🙂 Off to the pottery barn page to look at furniture we can’t afford either 🙂

3. Gayle says:

I think those expectations are perfectly sane. However, I do recall all the issues you had finding the current place (people not returning phone calls and all), and I also remember the posts during your move. Moving sucks, but someday I think we all hope that we are just comfortable where we are. Does that ever happen when renting??

4. Ellie says:

Consider Nate and I hired if moving becomes a reality, though I also demand that you stay in the same neighborhood. Even closer would be okay!

5. Mads says:

I was just talking to my bf about renting a house someday and the pros/cons of renting vs. buying.
    Any tips?

Moving is a pain, but it’s also pretty satisfying to nest in a new place 🙂

6. Wendy says:

@Mads The whole renting/buying thing is a big thing to think about. Before we bought the house in Arizona (that we are now looking to short sale at a major loss) I was very pro house buying. Now? Not so much. Here is what I think:
    – buying makes sense if you know 100% that you will not need to move for at least 5, probably 10 years.
    – on the flipside, renting gives you freedom if your life does change directions and you do want to move
    – renting is, usually, cheaper which allows for more money to go into other types of savings and investments. A house can be a decent investment but the market right now shows that you need to think very, very long term about that.
    – buying gives you the freedom to do whatever you want to a house. Renting gives you the freedom to know that you aren’t responsible for the inevitable repairs that homes need.

For right now I am very happy to be a renter and plan to rent until we can buy a house outright (or very, very close to it). We’ve lost a lot of money on the house in Arizona and that probably clouds my judgement, so you may have to take my opinion with a grain of salt or two. 🙂

• Mads says:

Thanks for the info! I’ve been talking to a few people about this recently, and most agree that renting is the way to go. At least for the time being.
      Although, it is a buyer’s market right now.