1. Went bowling and got soundly beaten by my three year old. Sure, he had bumpers and a ball ramp but he still broke 100 and I,well, I really, really, really did not.
2. Ate pork jowls for the first time. What are pork jowls, you ask? They are EXACTLY what it sounds like they are: the fatty part of a pig’s face. Are they healthy? NOPE. Are they salty and crispy and amazing over couscous and grilled summer vegetables? Damn skippy they are. We got ours from the farmer’s market, along with the veggies, so I felt semi-virtuous about eating fresh and local while still eating pig face. Yum.
3. Went to an aquatic center that had a lazy river (love) and drop slides (love love) and was reminded again how very hard it is to feel self-conscious in a swim suit when you are having fun racing your 17 year old step-kiddo down the slides or teaching the 3 yr old how to blow bubbles.
4. Did the hardest gym class ever with my 20 yr old stepson. It was called Cardio Conditioning and was all running laps, jumping jacks, interval training and other sweat inducing, puke potential high intensity cardio stuff. I was drenched in sweat at the end and sore as heck the next day. Can’t wait to do it again.
5. Enjoyed the company of the big boys and felt my heart get about 10x bigger watching the little monkey glow in the presence of his older brothers whom he looks at with naked adoration and love.
6. Felt my heart break a little when the big boys left to go back to Arizona. It was such a good time and I grieve that we don’t get to see them nearly enough.