On age

I was driving in to work this morning, chatting with the kiddo, and it occurred to me that, at the ripe old age of 33, I have been driving for more than half my life. That seems so strange to me for some reason. Being able to drive loomed like such an epic milestone when I was a teenager and getting my license was so genuinely thrilling that I suspect it would seem impossible to my 16-year-old self that I am on my fifth car purchased with my own money and that driving is as natural as breathing.

I thought some more about 33. This is a non-event of an age, really. Firmly in my thirties but not yet 35, which seems like the next sort of milestone birthday. I have been alive for 33 years and probably will have to work another 33 (or 35, if I am going to be a good Suze Orman follower) before I retire. I am in the thick of adult life now, no question. I work and parent and try to keep up something that looks like a life outside of those two big and all-consuming facets of my life and will be in this zone for the next two decades or so.

I’m happier (much MUCH much) than I was at 23 and I have no idea (not really) where I’ll be at 43.  I’ll have, God willing, adult step-sons, a teenager and a 10-year-old. I’ll have been married for 16 years. These things I count on but I don’t know where I’ll be living and working. I hope that I’m doing triathlons and writing more. I hope that I won’t have felt like the decade between 33 and 43 passed in the blink of an eye and all I did was try to keep up.

How about you? How old are you? What do you think about your age?

6 thoughts on “On age

1. Gretchen says:

I’m turning 50 in a couple of days. Starting to have a few nagging health problems, starting to see friends with more serious problems, and the ages in obituaries are starting to look way too young! I’m hoping to turn the corner to appreciating what I have and every day, without paying too much attention to the negatives.

• Wendy says:

Happy Birthday! Mr. Monkey turned 50 this year and it seems to be a good age so far. I hope it feels that way for you too.

2. tennisgal4jc says:

Well, at 32, (for two more months) I’m in about the same place as you! I’m happier, wiser, funnier, more giving than I was at 22. But I’m more cautious, more cynical, maybe less trusting. I worry about health. of mine, of my parents, of my friends, of my colleagues, and of my children. I save for retirement. I try so hard to make the right decisions regarding my children. And I strive to be successful- to get/find/have a fulfilling career that is challenging and rewarding. I cherish each day more than ever and life more in the moment than I ever have. -Beth

• Wendy says:

I think we are thinking about a lot of the same things! It feels like sort of a funny place in life sometimes: I worry/think about retirement and yet I know that I’m only half way there and I have decades more to go before I do. Hopefully I can make good choices now so I’m not worried about it when that stage gets closer.

3. Jill says:

I turned 34 in August. I had to think about that for a minute and mentally calculate my age because it seems much harder to keep track of it after I turned 25. I’m much happier than I was at 24. I feel like I finally got my sh*t together when I was 28. I have a great husband, 2 kids, 2 dogs, a wonderful career and a happy home. In ten years, my daughters will be 20 and 16. I can’t even imagine. It seems unreal, and yet totally inevitable. In ten years I will be 7 years away from reaching my 25 year anniversary at workplace, which will earn me another week of vacation. Now that’s what I’m looking forward to.

• Wendy says:

Don’t you sometimes wish you could go back in time and tell your 24 year old self to stress less and that it really will get better? I worried about so many things during those early 20s years and they’ve all pretty much worked themselves out now.

My step-sons are 20 and 17 (I’ve known them since they were 13 and 10) and it feels both normal and surreal that they are practically adults now.