I just finished my annual report for work, which was the last sort of big thing I needed to do before I go on Christmas break on Wednesday (whoo-freaking-hoo. I am *SO* ready for so time off). Since I’m in an annual reporting sort of mood, I thought I’d update the Year in Review post I’ve done the last two years (link here if so inclined to see last year’s).
I love reading these, so if you do one, please leave a link in the comments.
What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
Took a job where I manage multiple departments. I went from having three direct reports to about 30. It has been a huge adjustment and a ridiculously increased amount of work and stress. I think I am good at my job and I like the increased salary and responsibility but oh, the stress. I don’t regret taking the job but I hope that it gets easier.
2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don’t think I made any official resolution though I seem to bat around the same goals over and over (drink less Diet Coke, eat less candy, exercise more, write more, etc). I won’t make any for 2012. I feel like “keep my head above water” is going to be my dominant goal next year, given that I have a baby coming and still will have the big job to deal with.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
A handful of friends, which seems to be about par for the course when you are in your early 30’s. I suspect I’ll know folks having babies every year for the next couple of years.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What places did you visit?
Wisconsin and Kansas. No new places this year and probably none next year. We are in the thick of the child rearing phase of our lives, Mr. Monkey and I, so I suspect there won’t be any exciting big trips in the foreseeable future.
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
A sense of balance with my work life and personal life. More writing and reading time, less TV and zoned on the internet time. An increase sense of fun and togetherness for Mr. Monkey and me.
7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
August 13th, when I found out that I was pregnant. Holy cats. That was a VERY surprising day.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting the new job and doing much better in the open water swim race. Keeping the job despite weeks and weeks and weeks of shit-tastic pregnancy sickness.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Hmm, no one incident stands out but I think there was a period of several months where I wasn’t doing a great job of taking care of myself and some of my personal relationships. I am trying to be better.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Good gravy, yes. This pregnancy has been tough. I’m just over 23 weeks and still throwing up sometimes and have a weird hip/back thing going on already that apparently won’t be better until I am done being pregnant…in 17 weeks. Oh joy.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
We got a new car to replace our 12 year old Saturn and I feel like that was a wise purchase. We just bought a new mattress yesterday and I think that will be at the top of the list once it arrives and we can get rid of the lumpy piece of junk we currently have.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
I have a very good friend who has been incredibly giving and available and supportive this year. She is the kind of person who responds to a crisis by not only showing up but showing up with the good Kleenex so you can cry without your nose getting raw and with tasty snacks because she knows you’ll have forgotten to eat.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
A close family member came out to me and Mr. Monkey this year. Anyone who thinks that, on any level, that there is something wrong with that is someone who would make me feel depressed.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Rent and daycare are the biggest expenses. Eating out is probably the “fun” category that we are most frequently over budget on, though we don’t actually eat out a lot. I just suck at bringing my lunch to work.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Finding out that we are having a girl.
16. What song will always remind you of 2011?
A song on the Polar Express soundtrack that the baby monkey sings that just kills me dead. This one. His little voice signing along is just more than I can handle in my current hormonal state.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Depends on the day. It has been a tough year in some respects but I’m feeling more optimistic now than I was a few months ago, so hopefully moving in the right direction.
b) thinner or fatter? Heh. Well, I weigh about 10 pounds less than last year at this time but am almost six months pregnant, so I wouldn’t say I look any thinner.
c) richer or poorer? Richer. Our expenses have gone up a lot this year (new house that is more rent, more expensive child car, two car payments) but my new job has covered those increased costs and we’ve been able to move more money into savings. I suspect next year will be a leaner one for us though, once we have a new baby in diapers and probably additional child care costs to deal with.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Writing, blogging, reading, talking with Mr. Monkey.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Thinking about work at home. Throwing up. Being indoors
20. How did you spend Christmas in 2011? We’ll have a quiet Christmas again, which is just perfect for me. Driving to look at holiday lights on Tuesday, church with friends on Christmas Eve and the kiddo’s favorite breakfast of grapes, bacon and cinnamon rolls for Christmas morning.
21. Did you fall in love in 2011? I stayed in love in 2011.
22. What was your favorite TV program? The Good Wife, Revenge and Modern Family are the shows I most make a point to try to watch.
23. What did you do for your birthday in 2011? Went to Urgent Care with a kidney stone. It was super fun.
24. What was the best book you read? I am in the midst of The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks and it is quite good.
25. What did you want and get? The new job, a higher salary, a trip to Wisconsin, a SodaStream (just got last night!) and official family pictures taken.
26. What did you want and not get? A finishers medal for a triathlon. Just wasn’t my year to do one but I’m disappointed about that.
27. What was your favorite film of the year? I think I saw maybe one movie in the theatre this year (Bridesmaids) which was funny, so I guess that one?
28. Did you make some new friends this year? Yes, which is always nice. I am less close with some old friends than I’d like to be but I am enjoying building new relationships.
29.What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Better ways of handling stress and anxiety (same as last year)(and the year before)
30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011? Sad. Trying to look professional as an plus sized pregnant person? Eeks. I’m trying to defrump but it is a long process.
31. What kept you sane? I don’t think this has been a banner year for me in terms of sanity.
32. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Mumford and Sons got a lot of playing time in my car this year and Jon Stewart continues to be someone that I’ll stay up later than I should to watch.
33. What political issue stirred you the most? The repeal of DADT made me feel proud of the direction the country could be going.
34. Who did you miss? My step-sons. Always.
35. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011. Just because a doctor tells you that you’re not really fertile and won’t be able to get pregnant without assistance does not make it so.