I’ve been trying to get myself into a daily writing practice where my dissertation is concerned. The current deal with myself is just 15 minutes everyday. When I hold up my end, this works like a charm. I do 15 minutes and then I am usually raring to keep going.
But, oh, the things I’ll do to avoid starting my 15 minute timer would be impressive if it wasn’t so completely stupid and against my own self-interest. Like last night, for example, I did the following instead of my dissertation:
- Read a 13 month old magazine that has been sitting in my living room for over a year.
- Played MANY rounds of Bubble Cloud Planet on my phone
- Watched four episodes of Parks and Rec
- Had a bowl of Frosted Flakes, like the damn grown up I am.
- Looked up pictures of plastic surgery before-and-afters, specifically for breast reductions.
- Plucked a stray chin hair or two
- Tried not to peak under the bandage on my face where I just got three stitches after having a questionable spot on my face removed. Failed. Grossed myself out a bit.
- Checked Facebook
- Checked Twitter
- Checked Instagram
- Deleted some photos off my phone
- Checked Facebook again
- Checked my email
- Checked Twitter again
I almost started to work on it and then I realized it was 11:30pm and I needed to go to bed.
This morning I had a break in my work day where I could do it but instead I wrote a blog post about how I procrastinate on writing my dissertation.
It is SO WEIRD how I’m not done yet.